5 Ways to Combat Stress During the School Year and Beyond

LCCA Observer Staff, Writers/Reporters

Stress is something that most students face especially during the school year. Oftentimes, stress goes unresolved because students either don’t trust the people in their lives to share their problems with or they just don’t want other people to know they aren’t perfect.

But in reality, nobody is perfect, and everyone has things in their life that create stress. Students have such a full schedule that they have a hard time keeping track of everything. Some students have sports, clubs, duties at home, and homework, and still want to keep up with their social media so they become overwhelmed. They never get a break.

Bullying, gossip, and rumors are huge stressors for teens. These social stressors create anxiety, depression, and can leave kids feeling worthless, some contemplating suicide.  The relationships students experience can be stressful as well. These include friendships, family relationships, and romantic relationships. Some teens report that the anxiety created in these relationships can be so consuming, that it makes concentrating in school almost impossible…which in itself creates more stress.

Some of the signs that a person is experiencing a tremendous amount of stress in their lives are: not sleeping, not eating, overeating, and self-harm such as cutting or using drugs or alcohol.

Life doesn’t have to be like this, people don’t need to struggle or feel the overwhelming sadness that comes with stress.

We have come up with five ways teens can combat the stress they face and become happy, healthy people!

1. Learn to stop caring what other people think. Not everyone has the same opinion, and the consequences of your choices don’t affect other people. Not everyone is your friend and not everyone wants to see you happy. Ms. Myers reminds us, that other people’s opinions of you are none of your business. Focus on what makes you happy.
  2. Try new things or spend time doing things you like. This would be considered Habit 7, “Sharpening the Sword”. You have to do things each day that bring you peace. Some of these things may include having time for yourself. It is important to learn to be comfortable in your own skin and like yourself first.
  3. Join or create a group for support. Surrounding yourself with people who understand what you are going through helps you feel like you are not so alone. It is important to talk to people who speak your language.
  4. Stay away from social media. Social media can be full of drama, gossip, and even cyberbullying. People feel safe behind their keyboards and say things they may not say to your face.
  5. Seek counseling. While it is helpful to have friends to talk to, your peers may not have all of the answers you need to resolve conflicts that bring stress into your life.

When it comes down to the bottom line, you are important, the world needs you and is a better place because of you! Please take care of yourself.